Sunday, June 20, 2010

Part III of Infinity: Musicians Turned Actors Edition




David Bowie - Duh. The Hunger, anyone? Labyrinth? Man Who Fell To Earth? Not to mention playing Andy Warhol in Basquiat - whoever thought of that was a friggin genius. I rest my case.

The Inimitable Ms. Dolly Parton - Her turn in 9 to 5 was brilliant, and I'll never be the same after seeing The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas. Seriously. And let's not forget Steel Magnolias.

Mark Wahlberg - Boogie Nights. Three Kings. The Departed. - the kid can actually act. And even when he can't, I'm probably the only person on planet earth who actually liked The Happening. (Bonus points for creating Entourage, which is a really fun show)

Meatloaf. All he really ever needed to be in was Rocky Horror. But then he showed up in Fight Club in a role equally appropriate! (Bonus: was also in Spice World)

Kris
Kristofferson : Convoy?!? Hel-lo, can you even think of another classic movie about semi trucks?!? (and, no, Maximum Overdrive does not count)

Bette Midler: Hey, I'm no gay man, but even I love Bette. I do not care what anyone says, Beaches made me bawl like crazy and The Rose is an awesome movie in the epic-rock-star-breakdown genre. The rest of her resume boasts fluffy fun like Down & Out In Beverly Hills, Big Business, First Wives Club, etc.

Ludacris - Luda was good in both Crash and Hustle and Flow. In fact, I made a whole peeps diorama dedicated to H&F.

Will Smith: Yawn. I'll let Shelley defend that position if she wants.

Tom Waits: Shows up pretty much where makes sense - Down By Law. Mystery Train. The Fisher King. The Outsiders?

Madonna: Ay-yi-yi.

Barbra Streisand: We don't talk about her here on this blog.

6 comments:

  1. #1- David Bowie as Tesla was rad, even though that movie was mediocre.

    #2- I don't wanna talk about Madonna as an actress on this blog either

    #3- Will Smith only relevant as the Fresh Prince (to which I dedicated an entire Halloween theme). Wait, I guess 'I am Legend' was pretty good too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, he was first pretty good in Six Degrees of Separation, one of his few non-blockbustery movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best blog post ever. Worst musician turn actor Bob Dylan. Best musician turned actor Dwight Yoakum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You missed Olivia Newton John in Xanadu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good god, how could I have missed Olivia Neutron Bomb!?! I have a hand puppet of her in Xanadu, even.

    ReplyDelete