Sunday, July 11, 2010

Nine (as told through my fast forward button)


With a few notable exceptions (Sound of Music, and more recently A Star Is Born), I'm not a big fan of the no-holds-barred musical. Nine is a big ol' traditional musical with not a lot of character background and a whole lotta signing right up front. But I had to see it, right? Daniel Day Lewis, Penny Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Marion Cotillard & cutie Kate Hudson? C'mon - this is like the sweepstakes of gorgeous people all mashed into one movie!

That said, even a grillion drop-dead actors couldn't get me to stop pressing my fast-forward buttons through the parts that made me embarrassed, which were often and many - so that the actual screentime for this movie at my house ended up being about an hour. Everyone looked good, but after A Single Man, I just couldn't get all the way down with the pseudo-60's Italian styling that clearly comes from the same decade that produced the Pink/Mya/Li'l Kim version of Lady Marmalade. That vid actually seemed more of a core influence for the costumes in Nine, rather than the O.G. Fellini. It's just not kooky enough, dig? If you wanted to make a sequel to Moulin Rouge, you get a B-, as it stands, I give Nine a D+. Let's face it - just Kate Hudson alone, shimmying around in a silver sparkle mini should've kept me interested in this movie. fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment